Summary of the research lines
Biostimulants obtained from by-products of sunflower seed oil extraction
We look for novel opportunities to add value to sunflower shells. Hull extracts are characterized for their ability to stimulate plant growth and to enhance stress tolerance in vegetables. Promising biostimulants for horticulture are being developed.
Extracellular vesicles and unconventional secretory pathways in plants
We have reported the existence of extracellular vesicles (EV) in plants and their putative involvement in plant defense towards pathogens and remodeling of the cell wall. We investigate other functions of EV in plants and their participation in unconventional protein secretion (UPS). Novel UPS pathways in plants are being investigated.
Bioactive properties of a sunflower mannose-binding lectin.
The bioactive properties of a sunflower lectin are studied using different cellular models of biomedical and agronomic interest. Its mechanism of antifungal action through the interaction with cell wall components of human and plant pathogenic fungi is being investigated.
- 2013-2015: mincyt-CAPES BR/12/03. Proteínas y péptidos antimicrobianos de plantas de interés agropecuario: Caracterización molecular y funcional.
- 2014-2016: Subsidio UNMDP EXA 665/14: Compuestos vegetales bioactivos de interes aplicado.
- 2014-2017: CONICET-FAPERJ. Proteínas y péptidos antimicrobianos de plantas de interés agropecuario y médico.
- 2014-2018: PICT2013-749. Valorización de un subproducto de la industria aceitera como fuente de biopesticidas.
- 2015-2019: PICT2014-0736. Propiedades antipatogénicas de una fitolectina con potencial uso farmacológico
- 2017-2018: Subsidio UNMDP EXA 824/17: Compuestos vegetales bioactivos de interes aplicado.
- 2018-2020: PICT2017-616. Secreción no clásica de proteínas: Aportes a la producción de proteínas recombinantes en sistemas de plantas como biorreactores.
Laura de la Canal
Investigadora Principal de CONICET - Profesora Adjunto Regular UNMdP
Marcela is interested in deciphering the underlying mechanisms that drive Unconventional Protein Secretion (UPS) in plants. Leaderless proteins of apoplastic fluids are under characterization using bioinformatics and proteomic approaches both in the apoplastic soluble fraction and in extacellular vesicles (EVs). We look for the occurrence of patterns within a set of sunflower UPS.
Mariana is interested in exploring the bioactive properties of a sunflower mannose-binding lectin, investigating the bases of its antifungal activity on pathogenic fungi of clinical relevance (Candida) and impact on crops, among other properties.
+54 223 4753030 int 18
Marisol is interested in elucidating the secretory pathway of a sunflower apoplastic lectin by different experimental approaches including heterologous lectin expression, co-localization studies by confocal microscopy and ligand determination.
Guadalupe is currently working on obtaining and applying an extract of sunflower seed husk (EPC), with biostimulant properties on plants of horticultural-agricultural interest.
Marianela del Rio
Marianela is interested in elucidating the mechanisms involved in the antifungal activity of a sunflower lectin through the study of its interaction with cell wall components of human pathogenic fungi of the Candida genus, using mutants with different severity in the structure of the cell wall as an experimental tool.